Search This Blog

Saturday 12 July 2014

What Changed? (Value Tussle)

Today, i had an interesting encounter in a public transport system between an elderly woman who is 82 years old and a young man in his 30's.

The bus was full with space left for a person when an elderly woman proudly dressed in her native attire worked in to occupy the seat. As she was coming in, i was thinking someone ought to help her to her seat and also offer her a much more comfortable seat because the only seat left had no backrest. As if my mind was being read, the following transpired afterwards.



Mama:( speaking to the young man seating closest to her) can't you help me? you are just looking at me.(as she sits) you should have helped me.

(At this point people started to say that the young man even ought to give up his seat for her so that she can be more comfortable).

(Eventually young man gives up his seat for mama and she kept asking why he didn't assist while she was coming in)

Young man: Mama but i just stood up for you, what else do you want?

Mama: No o, you shouldn't have. Did i tell you that i can't seat where i supposed to. I am whole and strong, don't think because i am 82 years old i am not fit.

Young man: mama! what is it? what have i done wrong?

Mama:Don't give me that tone, you are an undisciplined man, is that how you are training your kids? you shouldn't talk like that. Are you not a Nigerian (in Yoruba) i have disciplined many people like you and i won't fail to continue as i come across people like you.

(At this point a few people asked the young man to apologies and keep quiet.)

Young man: (in Yoruba) you speak Yoruba, why didn't you speak Yoruba earlier? I'm sorry ma.

Mama: Why should i speak Yoruba to you when you are dressed foreign and will respond back in plenty grama. You  don't talk to elderly people like that, don't you have old people in your household or people in your family don't live long?


Young man: Mama! what have i done now that you saying all these? I have said I'm sorry already.

Mama:You will continue to say I'm sorry until I'm placated. I have many lawyers, one at Ebute Meta, another at Surulere and one on the Island. I will sue you to court for assault. You are very rude.

Young man: repeats 'e ma binu ma' ( I'm sorry ma)

It was an interesting conversation since i was not at the receiving end. The value tussle between the two generations reminded me of how much have changed. Was the elderly woman disciplining the young man like she mentioned or was she just being a bother to him as observed from his remarks/reactions?

In those days, respect and care for old people was paramount. But today an old woman was going to be ignored if she and some other people did not speak. Do people still stand up for old people and pregnant women these days in the bus? Are the aged and pregnant women still priortised at service based centres?

what has really changed? Share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment