Search This Blog

Saturday 24 August 2013

My Kids' Narrow Escape from the 'TEDDY BEAR' .



                           

It is a nice looking movie cover with picture of a teddy and a child and I thought to myself that I had another movie for my kids to watch. The movie was titled, "TED". It was at night and I played the movie for my kids and on second thoughts I asked them to go to bed as it was late and mentioned to them that they would watch the movie the next day. 

So with my kids off to bed and their dad yet to return home from work, the movie continued to play. There was a boy who had no friends and was alone. During the Christmas holiday his parents got him a teddy bear as a gift. Eventually he got a companion; he talked and played with the lifeless teddy. They got so close that one night he made a wish for the teddy to come alive.

Lo and behold as he woke up the teddy was alive and from that day his life changed forever from having no friends to being popular with news and interviews of a child living with a life teddy bear. And I thought ‘what a fairy tale with a happy ending’.  As he grew, I suppose the teddy bear grew too as what came afterwards was shocking to me and it was a drastic turn from an innocent child friendly movie to a corrupt one(an adult only movie).


The teddy bear began to use vulgar words, became a bad influence on his grown friend, display unimaginable sexual advances and acts and immediately I said ‘thank God my kids didn’t watch this movie’. I could have left them to watch the movie believing that it was a safe one for them to watch. 

And immediately many questions came to my mind such as: what was the intention of the producers of the movie? Why use a teddy bear that is a tool for children’s innocent play and comfort for such a derogatory role? Why use such an innocent looking movie cover for such a movie?

Well as I can’t predict the contents of movies any more I have decided never again to judge ‘a movie by its cover and name’.  I suggest the ‘teddy bear’ movie should be renamed ‘ted the wayward bear’ and the cover should depict same as the end of a thing is better and most important than the beginning. 


I really look forward to having readers' comments on the questions raised by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment